This topic will focus on how to turn an old, already slightly outdated model of a sheepskin coat into a new, fresh and elegant version.
A sheepskin coat is such a thing that remains beautiful even after a few years of wear. Yes, there may be some flaws that are very difficult to avoid even with careful wearing. Or you need to resize, restore to a more fashionable version, or just want to change your image. And in this topic we want to share with you the ideas and the execution schemes themselves, how to alter an old sheepskin coat in order to add a twist and refinement to your image.
We disassemble the scheme itself, how to alter a sheepskin coat
Almost all of us have old sheepskin coats at home or even several. Ideally, use, of course, natural models. After all, a leather sheepskin coat is a chic and affordable alternative to a fur coat, which warms in the winter and will always be in fashion. Well, the style of fashion can change. Although it is possible to alter a sheepskin coat into fashionable sophistication from a quality substitute, if it also served reliably and for a long time without losing its original appearance.
Important: Whatever style, material or color a sheepskin coat is, remember one main rule - you can make small out of a large canvas! But to expand - this is the work of imagination and additional inserts.
By the way, we suggest you look at the material on the topic "How to distinguish natural from artificial sheepskin?"You can change a sheepskin coat beyond recognition!
We study the arsenal that we need to alter the sheepskin coat:
- herself sheepskin coat;
- patterns full size and in the right amount. After all, the details of a sheepskin coat do not double;
- extra fur (optional). You can use shreds or trimmings;
- as well as any parts suitable for color, skin. From them you can make inserts;
- enough strong but not very thin threads - for example, gall or reinforced threads. Number from 180 to 200. Strongly thin threads can cut the skin;
- special trihedral needles. It is they who work smoothly with thick material, without piercing it, and process it well. But for small works, the usual needle No. 110-120 is also suitable, less - they will break;
- remember - we don’t sweep away the sheepskin canvases! It is sewn clean, so the accuracy of the details is so important. If the cut involves combining pieces, then use pins or special needles for the skin;
- furrier or office knife. In no case do we cut the canvas with scissors;
- arm yourself and tweezers. It is needed to get caught or interfering hairs on the line;
- hair clipper (any), in extreme cases, a razor. With this tool we select unnecessary pile. And also such manipulation will be necessary if you bend the seams. After all, the fur will make it very thick;
- be sure to wear thimble! Take care of your fingers, because the material is very thick and durable. Sometimes it doesn’t even hurt to keep some kind of metal bar or one of other durable material on hand to push the needle through;
- think about the foot of the sewing machine - A walking foot is considered an ideal option, which happens even for home use. But you can use fluoroplastic or teflon paws.
- according to the rules, seams of such a dense material are beaten off, especially if an edge is used. And it helps to avoid stretching the material. This requires hammer and granite or stone slab 20 by 30 cm, since the sheepskin coat cannot be repelled on a tree. It is this manipulation that will help to avoid knocking out the thread, and will help straighten the seam, which holds the two parts together. And also make the right place thinner for laying the finishing seam.
Turned out and cut the fur in places - got a chic fur coat
Important: If you still need to iron or steam the sheepskin coat, then do it only through paper! And in no case do not wet it - otherwise the mezdra will harden. If there are creases, then with an iron you will not correct this situation. Therefore, choose the most even places on the canvases.
What should we do or how to alter a sheepskin coat: we study the process itself, build patterns
First, study your “work object” to understand how much you want or need to change the model. And for this, pay attention to the following points:
- what length do you want;
- the old "frame" suits you or you need to build a new pattern. For example, the size has become different. But again, from a large model, you can just walk along the old silhouette, while slightly modifying the pattern. For a larger change, you need to add material;
- pay attention to the affected places - they need to be bypassed!
We build patterns before work
- Sketch on paper to remember which style you need. In general, often “along the way” thoughts come themselves, and the material goes in the right direction. And already from your silhouettes you need to build a pattern. We cannot guess all fantasies, therefore we offer the simplest options.
- By the way, models made of rough and thick leather, like a sheepskin coat or even a fur coat, do not like strongly fitted and intricate shapes.
- We need, of course, the main three measurements: waist, chest, and hips and also need product and sleeve length (we also take into account its volume).
- If you are altering an old model, do not touch this frame with armholes. Play with the material, if circumstances so require, in other places. Therefore, the task is simplified - we just cut off the extra length.
- Want to make a fashionable cutout by type of jacket - Point the cut-off parts to the current fastener locations and replace with a new-fashioned collar. Below we offer a more detailed description.
Direct sewing process
- Need to tear back the lining material if there is one.
- Break all the details together. Do this carefully so as not to damage the skin. If you do not just go to decorate or slightly remake a sheepskin coat, then you must definitely rip apart each piece. Indeed, you will see that small, bent or damaged pieces become unusable. So - they need to be replaced with material from another sheepskin coat or other pieces of winter material.
- The sheepskin coat is sewn a little differently - you transfer patterns to the front! Again, this way you will get around shabby and already worn places.
- Pull off the pattern details with pins and carefully transfer to the material. They need to be cut only on the front side, where there is no fur. AND only with a knife because the scissors will ruin the pile.
We work exclusively on the front side!
Important: Already at the stage of drawing parts, we look so that the pile has one direction! To do this, pull the material - it should stretch to one side. Although no one forbids you to "play" with the style, creating intricate silhouettes.
- Stitch the parts on a typewriter, without preliminary stitching. Maximum, we repeat, use pins to hold together.
- Now about the seams themselves! The side and shoulder seams, as well as the stitching on the sleeves, are simple stitch seams. All the rest have the following pattern: we sew, shave the lower seam, bend and lay the finishing line so that the unshaven seam is on top. We do not forget beat off seams with a small bulk in front of the finishing stitch.
- Width of seam allowances themselves goes from 06, -0.9 cm for shorthair materials and 1-1.5 cm for long fur. The line should not be very large or small - approximately in the range of 0.3-0.5 mm.
- And it remains to insert a zipper, make pockets or sew them and decorate with a collar, cuffs or belt.
Video: Sewing sheepskin coats at home - recommendations
How to alter a sheepskin coat yourself: tips, ideas
- Be sure to make a visual audit, where there may be abrasions, changes in color and other traces of socks. It is them that need to be masked or completely removed. Most often, cuffs of sleeves and places of pockets suffer.
- Sometimes it may even be necessary painting the whole product. You can do it yourself and even without much skill. Or you can just do beautiful painting using a hand pattern or stencil. By the way, with this method you will close unnecessary scuffs, and the new fur will give the product a real luxury.
- Or maybe you want to turn out the whole model or part of the sheepskin coat, having received a smart short fur coat. After all, most often the fur remains the most intact from wearing. Just don't forget lining to close unattractive spots and further extend its service life. And keep in mind that the best color for winter things is dark shades. Even if for light things choose not white or beige tones.
- Measure the length of the product, to know your object volume. Older models used to be quite long and bulky. And this is very good! Firstly, a short model is easier to do than that, and secondly, excess trimmed parts will help replace unattractive places.
- By the way, you can easily remake the model to your daughter or niece. Even more, you can still make the whole kit. For example, a purse or indoor felt boots. In general, do not limit our imagination.
- Pay attention to the fittings. Sometimes old models with buttons look outdated because of this. You can sharpen the material by making an oblique canvas and insert a zipper.
- Look at the collar, hood and cuffs! You can replace them with another fur, make a leather stand-up collar, sew pockets, replace the cuffs.
- Or, as an option, make an applique of fur strips from the same old pockets that hide the scuffs.
Important: You can glue the skin with glue "Moment".
Get some more inspiration on how to alter a sheepskin coat
- Sometimes it is appropriate to replace fur cuffs with leather inserts and make a strict collar. For the decor also used stripes of leather.
- Another example, when a short, comfortable and attractive sheepskin coat was made from a massive model.
- Fur is good, but when it is not abundant. Otherwise, the effect of stickiness is created. Although this is a matter of the past fashion - therefore, we remove it!
- Another model when using fur outside. And again, we cut off the collar.
- And, of course, those who need to increase their sheepskin coats should not be upset - there is always a way out! But we remove the length. From the same canvas we will make inserts. By the way, they can be put across, lengthening the silhouette.
- And we offer the case when the style plays a role. Again, they removed the bulkiness and length, made a neckline and decorated everything with a belt. But the main secret is fox fur!