In half a year, it’s time for the baby to give complementary foods. Mom should learn what kind of "adult" products and how to feed the baby.
The only acceptable and most wholesome food for a little man who has just been born is mother's milk. In extreme cases, an adapted mixture.
But there comes a time when the baby needs "adult" food - new products in his diet. Despite the fact that each child is individual, pediatricians and pediatric nutritionists nevertheless recommend, taking into account the peculiarities of the body of infants, to start feeding a baby only when he is 6 months old.
How to introduce complementary foods to a baby at 6 months of breastfeeding, where to start?
By six months, a small organism is already being rebuilt to eat new food. It already has:
- a series of digestive enzymes is formed that can take food other than milk
- a sufficient level of local immunity is being strengthened
the need for other proteins, vitamins and minerals is growing
(an indicator of this may be the appearance of the first tooth)
- the swallowing reflex changes gradually - the baby gradually learns to swallow food from a spoon and so on
So, according to modern medical recommendations, at 6 months the baby is ready to receive “adult” food, but in a form adapted for it — homogeneous.
IMPORTANT: I must say that some mothers successfully begin to feed a 4-month-old baby. This is all normal and acceptable, given the individual characteristics of the baby and the features of his previous feeding.
Lure begins with:
- pureed vegetables
If possible, it is better to buy a child special baby food that is perfectly balanced and designed for children of different ages - 6 months, 9 months, and so on.Vegetable puree is an ideal dish for the first feeding.
- All requirements are met in the factory food for babies - it is perfectly chopped, prepared so that all the useful substances of the products are maximally preserved, and some are even specially added, it is tested and microbiologically safe
- You need to start to make a difference in the diet of baby crumbs with one-component baby food, later you can add two-component mashed potatoes and cereals
- A breast-fed baby receives all the necessary nutrients - proteins, vitamins, trace elements from breast milk
- It also plays the role of a psychological factor - when applied to the mother’s breast, the child feels calm and protection. Mom’s milk also contributes to the formation of the body’s defenses
IMPORTANT: Starting complementary foods, you do not need to refuse to breast-feed, because from mother's milk the baby receives about 70% of energy and most of the nutrients. Feeding is not a substitute, but an addition to breast milk.
- If the baby initially refuses any feeding foods, whatever they are, and continues to eat only mother’s milk, one should not refuse him, however, perseverance
- For example, today the child categorically refused to accept new food, do not force him, try to feed him again a couple of days
- New food should be offered to the child in the middle of the day, but not before bedtime
- After a portion of a new treat, if the baby is worried, you can feed him mom's milk or a mixture
- Lure should begin with small doses - from a third or half a teaspoon per day. The dose of complementary foods is gradually increased until it reaches the daily norm of a specific product - 150 - 180g
WHO recommends that the first to introduce vegetables into the "adult" diet of the baby, which grow in the latitudes where he lives. The reaction to exotics can be quite stormy, so it’s better to start feeding it:
Mom can do something like this:
- give the baby half a teaspoon of homogenized zucchini and wait for a reaction to it
- per week - two gradually increase the portion and bring its size to normal (by age)
- give the child to try cauliflower brought to a puree state, wait for a reaction again
when a child normally responded to mashed potatoes from both monoproducts, you can combine vegetables in one dish
IMPORTANT: If the child’s body reacted somehow wrong to the new product - he has loose stools, rashes and so on, complementary foods from this product should be postponed for at least two weeks. After you can try to give it again. In case of repeated negative reaction to the product, consult a pediatrician
- After homogenized vegetables, it’s the turn of cereals. Although, doctors are allowed to give them first if the child is poorly gaining weight
- If the baby initially ate only mom’s milk and was not familiar with mixtures, cow or goat milk, at first it is better to give him dairy-free cereal
- Later, as early as 8 - 9 months, you can try adding milk to cereal dishes
You can feed your child porridge for dinner, then he will be well fed and will sleep soundly
- Then, juices (vegetable, apple) and fruit puree (apple) are introduced
- They are given a few drops, since they can still irritate the mucous membrane of the baby’s stomach. It is also important to ensure that the child is not allergic.
Kefir, cottage cheese, meat are introduced to the child later.
If the baby who is breast-feeding does not want to drink juice, compote or tea, you do not need to insist - he will get the necessary amount of liquid from mother's milk.
VIDEO: Super-food for kids. Where to start lure
How to introduce complementary foods to a child at 6 months with artificial feeding, where to start?
- A baby who is being breastfed may be fed earlier than the mother breast-fed
- “Adult” foods should only be given when the child is completely healthy. The best time for vegetable dishes is lunch, for porridge - lunch and dinner
- Vegetables and cereals are introduced into the diet of artisans in the same way as in the diet of breast-fed children
- We also offer the child first dairy-free cereals, then cereals in milk diluted in half with water, and only lastly add whole milk to them
- From six to seven months old, the baby is given an egg yolk, having pushed it and added either in mashed potatoes or in milk. You need to start with the fourth part of the yolk
- At the same time in a child’s life, you can gradually introduce meat into his diet. If you do not buy ready-made food for the baby in a special store, then, preparing the product at home, you must grind the meat in a blender to a homogeneous porridge-like consistency so that there are no lumps and the child cannot choke
- The best meat for the baby artificer will be veal, beef, rabbit or chicken. Beef and veal contain a lot of iron, and this is important for the baby’s body
Meat for feeding should be chopped.
IMPORTANT: Do not give a small child meat broth, it is difficult for its unformed digestive system
- Starting from the age of six months, children's milk kitchens offer children milk products, which the pediatrician will help choose
- They are important for the child's body as suppliers of beneficial bacteria for the intestines, as suppliers of protein and calcium. However, you shouldn’t especially get carried away with such products - it is enough to give them once a day so that the baby's kidneys manage to cope with an additional amount of protein
- From the age of 8 months, the baby can be introduced into the diet fish containing vitamin D, which is so necessary for the child’s body
- In general, the beginning and type of complementary foods for the baby is determined individually, depending on its development. As already mentioned, if the child does not gain weight, then feeding should start with cereals
VIDEO: 5 mistakes of introduction of complementary foods
Nutrition porridge at 6 monthsPorridge for feeding is diverse today.
The rules for introducing cereals into the diet of a baby up to a year are as follows:
- For the first time, a baby is given to a child in 6-7 months, and for an artificer - in 4.5 - 5 months
- Cereals from cereals are necessary as a source of carbohydrates, vitamins, vegetable proteins
- The first cereals without milk are introduced
- It is better to start with buckwheat, rice, corn and oatmeal. If the child has constipation, rice should be given with caution
- When it becomes clear that the child’s body is used to porridge and normally assimilates it, it’s worth trying to add vegetables or fruits, pounded to soft mashed potatoes, into it
- The first portion of porridge should be in the volume of one spoon. Every day the dose can be increased from two tablespoons or more
- If the child is on artificial nutrition, then after introducing porridge into the complementary foods, the volume of the mixture from the bottle should be reduced so that the total volume of products is approximately 180 - 200 ml