In this topic, we will consider the norms for highlighting the phrases "in addition", "in connection with" with commas.
The location of punctuation marks regarding certain expressions causes a lot of hesitation and questions. Moreover, punctuation depends not only on the union, but also on the place in the proposal, as well as on the assigned turns. At the same time, a certain insidiousness of the Russian language in this matter is revealed, because sometimes punctuation marks can be superfluous in seemingly similar situations. Therefore, in this topic we will consider such twofold constructions as "besides" and "in connection with".
Punctuation marks with the phrase "besides"
"In addition" can be an introductory phrase, as well as an independent part of speech. Therefore, often doubts arise due to the placement of the comma in the proper place. But remember - when a combination of these words is subject to punctuation stress, it does not matter in which part of the sentence it is located. Let us examine each case separately.
If "in addition" acts as an introductory particle, then it must be isolated by punctuation marks
More often than not, the union “besides” is the opening word
Important: Introductory phrases are constantly, without exception, highlighted by a comma.
If the introductory combination is at the very beginning of the sentence, then you need to put one comma after the union.
- In addition, aerosol can not be used without parental supervision.
- In addition, it is also dangerous!
- In addition, running in the morning is also good for overall health and shape.
If the phrase is settled in the middle of the text, it means that it stands out with two commas.
- The campaign turned out to be a wonderful pastime, in addition, and extreme compared to home conditions.
- It will be necessary to look into the store, in addition, we have run out of bread.
- We were classmates, in addition, we also sat at the same desk.
- Grandfather, in addition, was still that merry fellow.
A small exception to the rule. - if an opposing or reinforcing union is attached to the introductory basis, then the comma is placed after the introductory phrase.
- Well, besides, it was possible to keep silent!
- And besides, life is beautiful!
- And besides, we ourselves had a good time.
Do not forget about signs, but also remember about exceptions
Important: The phrase "besides" is sometimes replaced by the phase "besides this". They can be called synonyms if the semantic load of the sentence is not lost.
Turnovers with the words "besides" that do not require a comma
At the request of the author "besides" can focus on itself, as a separate addition, which consists of the word "that" and the preposition "except." Then the comma does not need to be put.
If "in addition" is at the beginning of the structure, then the comma is placed only after the end of the entire revolution. To check yourself, you can ask the question: "except what?" and "what?" - "that."
- In addition to the sandy shore, which we saw every morning, we still had open spaces of azure flood.
- In addition, the carrot juice that we were given every morning, the food in the dining room was excellent.
- In addition to the abstract, the student did not have time to read anything.
A comma is placed in front of the particle if there is a preposition with a pronoun, explanation or clarification. But the closing punctuation is already after the whole turn.
- Marinka, besides that salad, also tasted the cake.
- The boys, in addition to the bully, went on a weekend trip to their grandmother.
- There was nothing left, except for the sad state that arose afterwards.
How are punctuation marks and the “in connection with” particle combined?
Before you begin to think about the punctuation of the words "in connection with", you need to understand what part of speech such phrases refer to. And deal with their syntactic role.
As a rule, a sentence that begins with such a list of words is not distinguished by intonation. So, a comma is not needed in this case. Indeed, often "in connection with" acts as an excuse, which in itself is an official part of speech. And it is this part that defines, with the subsequent pronoun or noun, the case form of words.
- In connection with the above advantages, it is worth giving her a second chance.
- Due to the indicated reasons, the vacation is postponed.
- In this regard, we will accelerate our steps.
Do not put extra commas
Important: You can double-check yourself by asking a clarifying question. For example, "with what?" or "for what reason?" Due to the sharp cooling, we even got warm clothes. “In connection with” can even be replaced with the expression “for reason” without losing the meaning of the sentence. Due to the flood, we did not go to work. As you can see, a comma is not needed in both cases.
When in a sentence a construction that begins with such a phrase is isolated by intonation, it is necessary to put a comma in this union as well. I.eif the particle "in connection with" refines or emphasizes attention and is in the middle of the sentence, then punctuation marks are needed for an amplifying effect.
- So, in connection with the incident, it is necessary to stop this absurdity.
- Therefore, in connection with the possibilities, construction can be accelerated.
- Perhaps due to events, celebrations will be canceled.
But if the turnover is not distinguished by an intonation pause, there is no point in a comma. Should sayif "in connection with" in the text indicates causal circumstances, then it does not require punctuation. Namely, the foundation, justification, cunning or root cause. But do not forget about the complex structures of the sentence itself, which is broken by punctuation marks.
- I didn’t want to go to my birthday, but the connection with the events that took place changed my mind.
- The path of reality was blocked, and due to weather conditions I had to set up camp.
- I did extra work, and therefore I will receive an additional bonus.
An exception: The comma is placed after the union "in connection with", if there is a cause and effect.
- Due to the rain, we stayed at home.
- I took home part of the work due to the fact that the office turned off the light.
In some situations, it is easy to verify the punctuation of a given phrase by removing "in connection with" from a sentence.
- In cases of loss of the logical structure of the text, an extra comma.
- It is required to recruit more staff. In this regard, immediately increase the budget.
- If sentences after exclusion of a set of words remain competent and complete, then commas are required.
- It is required to recruit more staff. Consequently, in connection with this, immediately increase the budget.
In connection with the above material, we can conclude that such simple rules will be very useful in the future. In addition, a correctly written text speak of the awareness and literacy of any person.