This article will discuss the causes and methods of increasing hemoglobin levels in men and women after 50 years. After all, as you know, the indicators and metabolic abilities of the body are significantly different from the young body.
Blood is a special substance. It carries oxygen from the lungs to the organs and is the carrier of vitality. Therefore, the condition and quality of blood is especially relevant for people after 50 years! The lack of the main red blood pigment (hemoglobin) is called anemia. Unfortunately, low hemoglobin in women and men after 50 years is often underestimated and not sufficiently treated. Therefore, we focus on how to raise it and the importance of such prevention or treatment measures!
Low hemoglobin in women and men after 50 years: signs and risks of anemia
Important: The World Health Organization reports anemia when the hemoglobin level is below 120 g / l in women after 50 years old and below 125 g / l in men of this age.
In this case, the blood becomes liquid, the level of iron drops (and this is the main component of hemoglobin bodies), oxygen transportation slows down and does not work as efficiently. With the volume of oxygen, the percentage of nutrients decreases and our organs and even cells begin to starve, in the literal sense of the word!Blood structure comparison
Moreover, more than 15% of people over 50 suffer from anemia. In women, the disease is much more common than in men. This is usually mild anemia. However, mild anemia is also associated with increased mortality and morbidity in people after 50. It is not clear whether this relationship is the cause or whether anemia is simply a sign of a chronic disease, but an increase in mortality and the development of anemia is especially pronounced. in people with heart failure.
Important: If the hemoglobin level is below 90 and 110 g / l in women and men, respectively, then this is the average form of anemia. If the indicators serve below 70-80 g / l - this is a severe degree that requires urgent hospitalization!
Low hemoglobin, especially after 50 years, leads to the fact that patients suffer from a decrease in the quality of life, muscle strength and performance, and the risks of falling and developing depression increase. In addition, the following symptoms of low hemoglobin levels are distinguished:
- Anemia leads to pallor, exhaustion and lack of concentration
- Often arises dizziness, darkening or spots in the eyes
- The patient is experiencing weakness and fatigue full time
- The slightest action leads to the fact that a person begins to choke there are second attacks of severe dizziness with increased heart rate. Even possible fainting
- May cause unreasonable tinnitus
- May even develop tachycardia, leading to palpitations with shortness of breath and heartache
A brief overview of the problem of low hemoglobin
Important: Reducing blood flow to vital organs can even lead to a heart attack or stroke.
- Also the symptoms complements frequent headache and soreness of the mucous membranes / skin
- Is possible loss of appetite, disruption of the gastric tract. In this case, there can be both diarrhea and constipation with periodicity and inconstancy of occurrence
- Hair growth worsens, they start strongly fall out, the skin becomes dry, and the nails become brittle
- Iron deficiency is often spoken of. cold arms and legs when the patient is cold even in warm time (just limbs only)
- Feels lethargy and soreness throughout the body and in every muscle. But there was no physical overwork!
- Often there is stomatitis in the mouth and cracks appear on the lips, ulcers in the corners of the mouth!
- Urinary incontinence (in insignificant amounts) with laughter or with any tension in the abdominal muscles. For example, when sneezing
- Immunity decreases, which leads to frequent colds and viral ailments
- The level of emotional tone decreases
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- In women, if menopause has not occurred, disruptions in the cycle are possible. In men, problems with potency are possible, which are not related to age
- The taste and smell are distorted - like the smell of paint, exhaust gases, gasoline or naphthalene, I want to eat raw meat, chalk or limestone, as well as raw dough
Low hemoglobin in men after 50 years: causes
- The use of beer in large doses and strong alcohol - this is a fairly widespread reason in the male part of the population
- The second massive reason for lowering hemoglobin is malnutrition!
- This is more as a consequence of the previous one, but requires special attention - lack of such nutrients like iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid
- Renal dysfunctionin men, it can also be closely associated with the development of anemia, since hormone synthesis is reduced, which is responsible for the production of red blood cells. In women, this reason is possible, but in men, the development of renal anemia is much more common!
- Inflammation or damage is also possible. intestinesthat thin its walls, and this leads to poor digestibility of substances
- Low hemoglobin can also be caused by lung disease. due to excessive smoking
- A fairly common cause of low hemoglobin among men after 50 is sickle cell anemia. This is a genetic disease that causes a decrease in the number of red blood cells and hemoglobin, which is especially reminiscent of itself after 50 years.
- Sudden, strong, or slow but chronic blood loss. It can be the same stomach ulcer, rupture of a vessel or hemorrhoids. Frequent donation can also bring down the normal percentage of hemoglobin production.
- Men are more likely to suffer vessels. And their slagging interferes with the normal transportation and assimilation of substances
- Refusal of daily walks or light exercise, especially if a man in his youth had sedentary work
- Sometimes it may be the result. tumor or cancer development
These are the main reasons not only for the male population
Low hemoglobin after 50 years is particularly acute not only in men but also in women against the background of chronic infections - hepatitis C, arthritis, diabetes, tuberculosis, liver and kidney diseases, systematic lupus erythematosus and heart failure!
Low hemoglobin in women after 50 years: causes
- Women after 50 years have low hemoglobin significantly more often than men. And all due to stress and nervous strain on an ongoing basis. We will not go deeper in this direction, but take care of your nerves, preferably from a young age.
- Common causes of anemia are also iron deficiency and vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency.
- All this is the result of malnutrition! Special excessive diets which often affects women of all ages. You need to choose your diet so that the body receives all the substances!
- These frequent diets or improperly selected menus may still result in to the lack of catalysts, which contribute to the digestibility of iron - it is PP, C and B.
- On the other hand, a decrease in hemoglobin may occur due to short-term high blood loss for example, an accident or heavy menstrual bleeding, the same heavy birth. It’s just after 50 that this can remind of oneself, because at this age everything that was young aggravates.
- Operations now or earlier - very often lead to a decrease in hemoglobin levels.
- Anemia can also be a concomitant symptom in other diseases, such as rheumatism, varicose veins, hypothyroidism or a thyroid pathology that does not produce enough hormones.
- A very common cause of low hemoglobin among women is thalassemia a hereditary disease that interferes with the normal functioning of hemoglobin.
- We emphasize once again that cancer and any oncology very often associated with anemia. For many types of cancer, low hemoglobin is often the first symptom!
- Low hemoglobin in women can also be caused extreme exercise. After 50 years, women begin to rapidly gain weight due to hormonal changes. Some in pursuit of a slim figure adhere to strict diets and engage in enhanced sports. It is important to remember that after 50 years, this can negatively affect the state of the blood. Nutrition should be balanced, and physical activity should be optimal for your age.
- But sedentary image on the couch is also not welcome! This can lower hemoglobin levels.
- Any diseases of the stomach affect the digestibility of the necessary substances. It is more common in women gastritis and ulcer also possible duodenal ulcer, what else causes bleeding.
Important: For women after 50 years, low hemoglobin is dangerous because it can accelerate the development of Alzheimer's disease!
Video: Low hemoglobin after 50 years and not only - symptoms and causes
How to raise low hemoglobin in women and men after 50 years: important tips
Every person after 50 years must take a blood test once a year. In case of anemia - this should be done more often. Deficiency of iron or vitamins as the cause of anemia is easily diagnosed and responds well to treatment.
Important: An excess of iron is no less dangerous than its deficiency. Thick or viscous blood is a direct way to thrombosis, which can cause a stroke or heart attack, especially after 50! Therefore, do not self-medicate! You can only adjust your menu or drink vitamins, which the doctor will prescribe for you first.
If you have low hemoglobin, especially after 50 years of age, you should consume more foods rich in iron. Iron helps increase hemoglobin production, which also helps form more red blood cells.
Iron contained in meat and meat products, it is especially well acquired by a human body. Although plant products are also suppliers of iron, they have a relatively low percentage of iron. Or you need to use them in large doses.A lot of iron does not mean good!
Basic tips for raising hemoglobin:
- If you eat meat products, consume with vegetables / fruits or drink fruit juices containing vitamin C. After all, vitamin C contributes to the good absorption of iron. For example, an orange or its juice.
- Fructose Dark Honey also helps to better absorb iron in our bodies. It is extremely useful to eat with apple!
- Molecules help absorb iron from vegetables or fruits oils. For example, grated carrots we eat only with oil. So, by the way, vitamin A will be absorbed.
- Eat fresh meat products. Cut back on frozen workpieces.
- Calcium blocks the absorption of iron. No, it is no less important; it cannot be ruled out. But this indicates an excess of calcium-containing food.
- Always eat meat separately from bread!
- For dessert, eat fruit regularly instead of yogurt, pudding, or cottage cheese.
- Cook food in cast iron dishes so you will enrich the food with the necessary element even more.
- Do not abuse vegetarianism or replace it with a proper dose of vegetable iron and protein.
- Even if it’s difficult - more often do without an “iron killer” in the form of coffee and black tea!
- Increase folic acid intake.If a person after 50 years does not receive enough folic acid, his red blood cells will not be able to mature. This can lead to folate deficiency anemia and low hemoglobin levels. Modern drugs for raising iron often come in combination with other vitamins. But you can bet on foods such as asparagus beans, cod liver, spinach, hazelnuts, feta cheese and hard cheese, as well as legumes and whole grains.
Drink juices and add honey instead of sugar!
Important: Milk and green tea interfere with iron absorption! They need to be drunk an hour after eating meat. In addition, you should understand that you can adjust the level of hemoglobin in 3-6 months. If you even drink a folk remedy or a medicine, then only temporarily increase its concentration.
If hemoglobin is low after 50 years, choose the right foods that are high in iron: table
First, it is worth dispelling the myth that the leaders in the people in terms of iron content are pomegranate and apple. No, they contain a really considerable percentage when compared with other products. But they have a trivalent element that is poorly absorbed by our body. Therefore, if you have low hemoglobin, and even after 50 years, then completely reconsider your diet! Drinking pomegranate juice or eating 1 apple per day is not enough! Most of their iron will not stay in our body.
|Animal products||Iron (mg / 100 g)|
They have the most iron!
Products are shown raw. The proportion of iron during cooking remains virtually unchanged. The only thing that is slightly higher is the percentage in the pork and chicken liver.
|Fish products||Iron (mg / 100 g)|
Red, black caviar
These indicators apply not only to finished fish, but also to its canned food. The indicators between them are not significantly different.
|Plant food||Iron (mg / 100 g)|
Soybeans (boiled without salt)
Beans (white, boiled)
Green raw apples
After 50 - these foods must be in your diet.
Important: To preserve the usefulness of cereals, they must be soaked and cooked in cast-iron dishes! A piece of butter will also help strengthen their action.
After 50 years, low hemoglobin is directly related to vitamin C: “ascorbic” products
Foods rich in vitamin C contribute to good absorption of iron in the body!
Vitamin C deficiency is also expressed in apathy, depression, reduced immunity and bleeding gums, as well as in causeless inflammation in the mouth. And most importantly - its lack can lead to the development of anemia! This picture is especially aggravated after 50 years, low hemoglobin can reach critical levels.
|Vegetables||Vitamin C (mg / 100 g)|
Sweet pepper, raw
120 raw - 62 steamed
We have listed only the main types, but you can get ascorbic acid in other products. Especially worth highlighting greens, for example dill or celery.Of little importance squash - 15 mg cucumber - 10 mg radish a little more - 25. But a salad of fresh vegetables must be on your table, especially if you eat meat products. By the way, as a hint - choose green and leafy vegetables!Folic acid is needed not only during pregnancy, but also after 50!
Horseradish is a great tool! It contains 55 mg of vitamin C and 2 mg of iron. Do not forget about the universal folk doctor - garlic. Not much, but all to good use - 10 mg of vitamin C and 1.5 mg of iron per 100 g. Oriental spice ginger is 11.5 mg of iron and 12 ml of ascorbic acid.
|Fruits||Vitamin C (mg / 100 g)|
Papaya and pomelo
Another indispensable tool for hemoglobin!
Important: Stimulants, such as coffee and black tea, interfere with the absorption of iron. Vitamin C many times improves the absorption of the trace element. Try to use a variety of iron-containing foods with ascorbic acid (in foods)!
Low hemoglobin after 50 years: folk recipes, how to quickly pick it up!
Having studied the composition of all products, we have already concluded that there are slight exaggerations in this matter. But still, it is nutrition that can return low hemoglobin after 50 years to normal levels. We also offer you several recipes that will serve as a home ambulance.
- You'll need raisins, dried apricots, prunes and walnuts (peeled) - we take all 200 g
- Also take 1 lemon (medium size, 120 g)
- Liquid honey - 3 tbsp. l
Pass everything through a meat grinder. Season with lemon juice and honey, grind the peel of the lemon and add to the overall composition. Reception - 1 tbsp. l before meals, 3 times a day. The course is at least 3 months.Recipes
- It will take 1 small lemon (up to 100 g) and 100 g of fresh leaves aloe vera. For refueling - 200 ml of honey.
First place the aloe leaf in the freezer, then grind it through a meat grinder with lemon. Fill everything with honey, store in the refrigerator. Reception - 3 times a day for a month, before meals, 1 tbsp. l
A simple salad to increase hemoglobin
An excellent folk remedy is nettle borsch!
- It is also necessary to drink fresh juices from carrots, lemon, apple, pomegranate and radish.
- Garlic in the amount of 50 g to insist in 250 ml of vodka (in a dark place, 2 weeks). Strain and drink 3 times a day for 1 tsp. The course is up to 1.5 months, after a break.
- Take in equal proportions yarrow, dandelion and nettle (leaves). According to 1 tbsp. l pour 250 ml of boiling water into this mixture, insist under the saucer for 15 minutes and drink as tea, dividing into 4 doses.
- Another healing tea with ivan grass. Pour 500 ml of boiling water over 100 g of a dried plant, wrap with a towel and leave to "reach" at night. Drink during the day, no more than 3 weeks.
- Infusion of yarrow and wormwood. Mix herbs in equal proportions. If you are using a fresh product, then take 2 tbsp. l., dry - 1 tbsp. l Pour 250 ml of boiling water, insist 1 hour. Strain and take before meals 1 tbsp. l Add honey if you do not like the taste.
- Use parsley root. Wash 1 large root, rub and pour 0.5 l of boiling water. Insist at least 6 hours. Strain and take 100 ml 3 times a day.
Low hemoglobin after 50 years: taking vitamin complexes and drugs
We emphasize once again that you can resort to self-medication only as a last resort - if you do not have the opportunity to see a doctor. It is dangerous to drink any medicine or the same vitamins without taking tests! This information is given for informational purposes only or as an emergency measure! Low hemoglobin, especially after 50 years, must be increased by nutrition and moderate exercise. And only as prescribed by the doctor - with medication.
- Complivit Iron with vitamin C
- Perfectil (vitamin C and manganese)
- Sorbifer-Durules, Ferropleks with ascorbic acid
- Ferro-foilgamy, Irovit with ascorbic acid, B12 and folic acid
- Phenol, Gyne-Tardiferon, Ferretab, Boifer with vitamin B9 (folic acid)
- Actiferrin with L-serine
The best drugs with ferrous iron (Fe2):
Important: Preparations with a 2-valent wand are better and completely absorbed by our body. 3-valent iron works quickly and with minimal performance. Let's just say it is prescribed if the hemoglobin level is very low and it needs to be urgently raised. Although doctors also note that new-generation drugs do not cause side effects, they are safer and well tolerated.
Ferric iron preparations (Fe3):
- Maltofer Fall
- Ferrum Lek
- Venofer (for v / m)
Many people after 50 years can increase their hemoglobin levels through dietary changes and moderate physical activity! Even if you change your diet, a sedentary lifestyle will still keep hemoglobin low. If you plan to take supplements, consult your doctor about the dosage and duration of the course. If hemoglobin remains low, further treatment, such as a blood transfusion, may be required. Watch your health, eat right and, most importantly, seek help from a specialist in a timely manner!