The article contains answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding eggs in the children's menu.
Recommendations and advice are general in nature, without taking into account the individual characteristics of each individual organism.
How many months can I give an egg to a child?
A six-month-old baby does not have enough useful substances that are found in breast milk. Basically, there are not enough proteins and mineral salts - iron, calcium, phosphorus, etc. In addition, the baby’s gastrointestinal tract is ready to eat more coarse than milk or a mixture. This means that it is time to introduce complementary foods.
General recommendations of pediatricians of the "old school" regarding egg feeding:
- It is recommended to introduce an egg into the diet at the age of 6 ½ months, provided that there are no allergies among the baby's relatives.
- Otherwise, acquaintance with this food product should be postponed until the child reaches the age of 9 months.
The modern view of complementary foods is somewhat different from the above recommendations: many Russian pediatricians, including Yakovlev Ya.Ya, candidate of medical sciences, consider that it is better to begin acquaintance of a child with eggs from 12 months. This is associated with a high risk of allergic reactions to this food product.WHO on the nutritional benefits of chicken eggs
How to introduce an egg to a child’s lure, how to give it for the first time?
Acquaintance of a child with an egg begins with very small dosages (literally the size of a match head). Cool boiled egg yolk, as a less allergenic part of the egg, is the best option for a children's diet. The yolk is thoroughly ground and mixed with a small amount of breast milk or infant formula.
Important: Insufficiently heated yolk (soft-boiled egg or fried eggs) can become a source of Salmonella infection!
The recommended daily allowance for children (taking into account age) is as follows.Pediatricians recommendations for egg yolk (chicken) in the children's menu
Important: frequency of taking egg yolk - 2-3 times a week.
When can a baby be given an egg yolk?
No pediatrician will give a definite answer. It all depends on the health of the child and the quality of the eggs. The main recommendations for the introduction of egg feeding were considered at the beginning of the article.
Important. Complementary foods, including eggs, are introduced according to several rules.
- Acquaintance with a new product on the menu occurs after a morning walk in the fresh air during a day's meal.
- Be sure to monitor the baby's reaction to the yolk. Be careful: the body's reaction to the allergen may not immediately follow, but within 1-2 days after eating!
- The second intake of yolk occurs two days after the first acquaintance with the product (provided there are no allergic reactions). If adverse reactions are still present, remove the egg from the child’s diet for 4-5 weeks.
When can I give egg protein to a child?
Egg white is a fairly strong allergen. It is introduced into the diet of the child after a year and only after successful acquaintance with the egg yolk.
When can I give my baby an entire egg?When can I give my baby an entire egg?
The whole egg can be consumed by a child aged "1+".
From the year you can also gradually introduce products into the child’s menu, which include:
- egg powder
- egg yolk
- egg white
- egg albumin
Important: A small amount of egg protein is also present in the finished vaccines. This can provoke very severe reactions in allergy-prone babies.
How many eggs can a child eat a day, a week to a year, a year old, a 2 year old?
The size of the portion and frequency of consumption are as follows:
- ½ hard boiled eggs (chicken) - 2-3 times a week at the age of 1-3 years
- 1 whole boiled hard-boiled egg (chicken) - 2-3 times a week from 3 years
- omelet from 1 chicken egg - 2-3 times a week at the age of 2.5-3 years
Quail eggs for children: from what age? How many quail eggs can a child up to one year old, at 2 years old?Quail eggs for children
Important: the rules for introducing eggs into a child’s diet are the same for all types of eggs!
Based on the foregoing:
- quail egg yolk is introduced into the baby's menu from 6½ months (provided there is no risk of allergic reactions). At the age of 7-12 months, a child can eat 1 yolk of a quail egg 2 times a week
- the protein of any egg, including quail, is perceived by the human body as a foreign substance and is an allergenic product. Introduce quail egg protein into the baby’s diet very carefully
- at the age of 1-3 years, a child can eat 1 quail egg per day 2 times a week. The egg must be hard boiled or served as an omelet
- at the age of 4-7 years, it is recommended to eat 2-3 quail eggs a day 2-3 times a week
Keep in mind: hypoallergenicity of quail eggs - a food myth!
The percentage of people who are allergic to quail eggs is quite low. But this is due to the fact that quail eggs are not as accessible as chicken ones.
Can raw quail eggs be given to children?
Children are not recommended to eat raw eggs, including quail!
Unfortunately, quail are susceptible to pullorosis, a disease caused by Salmonella bacteria. In adult birds, the disease proceeds in a latent form.
Heat treatment of quail meat and eggs minimizes the risk of salmonella infection.
Quail eggs in atopic dermatitis in childrenWhere does atopic dermatitis appear in children?
Quail eggs are products that can cause a cross-allergic reaction. What does this mean? If atopic dermatitis was caused by a chicken egg, then quail eggs should be excluded from the child’s diet, as they contain similar allergens.
Is it possible for a child allergic to quail eggs?
It all depends on the overall health of the child. In any case, all the innovations in the menu of an allergic child should be discussed with your doctor.
Practicing pediatricians note that small allergy sufferers can quite well tolerate quail eggs. But they must be introduced into the child’s diet very carefully and under the supervision of a specialist, since quail products can cause a cross-reaction.
Can children eat eggs every day?
It is impossible:
- eggs are a strong allergen
- eggs are a high cholesterol product
- an excess of protein in the body disrupts the digestive tract
Children's menu should be healthy and balanced. In addition to eggs, it should contain vegetables and fruits, cereals, meat, dairy and sour-milk products.
Can soft-boiled and raw eggs be given to children?
It is possible if some conditions are met:
- your child has reached the age of "7+"
- you are confident in the freshness and quality of the egg
- are you sure that the bird that laid the egg is absolutely healthy
In other cases, an egg, raw or not undergoing sufficient heat treatment, can cause salmonellosis.Group D infection occurs through poultry products (data from the Russian Ministry of Health)
In addition, raw egg white is poorly absorbed by the body. Heat treated egg protein has the highest digestibility among animal protein products.
How is egg allergy in children?
Clinical symptoms of manifestations of food allergies, including taking into account the age of the child, are presented in the table.
Egg shells for allergies for children
Important: shell as a medicine for allergies is used only in traditional medicine.
At the same time, leading practicing pediatricians of the post-Soviet space, for example Komarovsky E.O., agree that one of the causes of food allergy in young children is calcium deficiency in the body. From this point of view, the use of eggshells, as a natural source of calcium, is justified.
How to make egg shell powder?
Important: eggs must be homemade!
- Wash raw chicken eggs (preferably white) thoroughly with a soda solution and rinse with cold water. Soda solution can be replaced with a soap solution from ordinary household or baby soap.
- Free the eggshell from the contents and remove the inner film.
- Let the shell dry well (30-40 minutes). You can leave her for a few hours.
- Grind the shell thoroughly into powder. Healers do not recommend using a coffee grinder or blender. Porcelain mortar and pestle are considered ideal for grinding.
- Powder (0.5 tbsp) pour juice ½ lemon and mix thoroughly to accelerate the chemical reaction.
- During the interaction of calcium and citric acid, a foam will form, which should be knocked down by gently mixing the solution.
- The solution should stand for 8-10 hours in a dark place at room temperature.
- After the specified time, the mixture can be used either as a food supplement, or as an independent drug (the time of administration does not depend on the time of food intake).
Important: the solution is stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Number of receptions: 1 time per day.
- up to 6 months - 1 g of the mixture
- 6-12 months - 2 g of the mixture
- 1-2 years - 3-4 g
- 7 years - 0.5 tsp mixtures
- 14 years old - 1 tbsp mixtures (can be eaten in small portions throughout the day)
Duration of treatment: from 1 month.
Important: As an alternative, you can use regular calcium gluconate tablets. Dosage: 1 tablet / day. The tablet should be ground into powder and added to any food / drink containing milk. Course: 1-2 weeks.
When can a guinea fowl egg to a child
Guinea fowl eggs are introduced into the children's menu at the same age as chicken or quail eggs.
When can duck eggs be given to children?
Duck eggs are introduced into the diet of a child after 6 years. This is due to the fact that duck eggs belong to the so-called "heavy" food, which is characterized by:
- high calorie
- slow digestion in the digestive tract